Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy conclusion to laptop saga...

I guess I take after my dad. He always wanted the very latest gadget with the most up-to-date technology. Okay, I admit it. Me, too. I'm a geek.

When my laptop died last week (see May 4th post), I perused the Internet trying to find a solution to my problem. In the process, I realized how wimpy and behind the times my laptop was. I also realized that I'd better stop looking at the new ones that come standard with 3G of memory, faster processors, better video cards and bigger hard drives. No chance of an upgrade anytime soon.

When I left my laptop with the Geek Squad a week ago, I also left the printout of a forum thread that Dave found that sounded like my exact issue. There was a defect in the motherboard. One poster said that some people were having trouble getting the issue resolved with HP, and that they were putting together a class-action suit.

Yesterday the Geek Squad called. They said approval had been granted for me to get a brand new laptop!!! I couldn't believe it!! I jumped online to see what models they had available at Best Buy, and found a beautiful special edition HP with a white finish, with much better technology than my old one, and a bigger screen. I didn't have much hope that I'd get that one since it wasn't really comparable.

When we got to Best Buy, the tech guy said they would find whichever model they had that had a minimum of what my machine had technologically. They first tried to show me a Compaq, but I said I wanted an HP brand machine, which is what I had before. Then they found one, but it didn't have a webcam, which mine had. Uh uh.

The guy disappeared and then came back and said they would give me $550 toward any model I wanted. I didn't like that, either. I showed him my original receipt that proved I paid $899, and that the other guy said I could have whatever machine they had in the store that was at LEAST as good as mine. So he disappeared again, and miraculously came back and said I could get anything up to $899!!!

Guess what the sale price was on that special edition white HP?? $899!!!! Yipeee! Unfortunately, they didn't have it at that store, but they are shuttling it from another store. I can't wait until Thursday!!!

I'm so glad I backed everything up because the old hard drive will be destroyed and returned to HP. I don't really get that, since there's nothing wrong with the drive. But I'm not complaining since that one is 120G and the new one is 320G!!

4 comments:

Pari said...

You are so lucky! It's nice to have a happy ending to a very sad story. Of course, since it's a little bigger than your old laptop, I guess now you will have to go shopping for a new bag... :)

Roni said...

Pari, you got me worried, so I went to the HP site where I bought my bag to look it up. It says, "Compatibility: All Pavilion and Presario notebooks with displays up to 15.4". What a relief! The old laptop was 14.1" and the new one is 15.4". Whew!

Pari said...

Darn, you mean you don't get to go shopping? :) Dave will be relieved!

Anonymous said...

Very neat, Veronica. We got Loren a new white laptop for her graduation. She likes how it looks, too. It has a smaller screen than yours, but if she is going to travel at all with it, then I think that is better for her.

I don't have a webcam. You're very luck you don't have to look at my ugly mug. :)
PJ