Thursday, June 26, 2008

Things we take for granted...

I love to sing. I've always loved to sing. To be able to open my mouth and sing is something I've pretty much taken for granted. Now I can't sing, and I don't think I'll ever take it for granted again!

Almost four months ago, I caught a cold, which, as it usually does for me, turned into asthmatic bronchitis. This time it was particularly nasty. I've learned from experience to go to the doctor for meds immediately at the onset of symptoms; otherwise, the cough continues for months on end! So I coughed for only three weeks, but the cough was especially violent. My throat was raw and very painful.

At the end of the three weeks, the cough let up, but my voice was GONE! It remained gone for about four weeks, and then slowly started coming back enough to talk. I guess it's starting to come back, though, because for a long time I could only sing up to a middle C; now I can get one step higher, to a D.




My mom says I should get a whistle to call the boys when they're in the video game room with the door closed and the volume up. Yeah. That'd go over big! I could be like Captain Von Trapp!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Roni, I'm sorry to hear about you being sick! I will be praying that your voice comes back all the way and that you can sing again. Of course you still have the ability to sing with your heart - but it's not the same thing... I hope it comes back real soon!

Don said...

That's got to be frustrating and discouraging for you.

I'm glad the range is coming back...one note at a time. Imagine how Julie Andrews must have felt after losing her voice like she did. I'm glad yours is on the mend!!!

Hopefully it will be all back and healthy when choir starts up again in September.

Roni said...

Thanks for the prayers, Heidi! I will be bummed if I can't sing in choir! Don, no kidding about Julie Andrews! I always felt bad for her--that was just plain tragic.